SAD Light Therapy
Importance of Light:
Light is essential to maintaining normal, healthy physiology. Exposure to the sunrise is a key factor in synchronizing our internal body cycles or circadian rhythms to the external world (so we sleep when it is dark and are alert during the day).
Modern industrial society, combined with human migration to northern latitudes, has tampered with this cycle and the resulting loss of natural light exposure – in dark apartments, in the workplace, on shift work, etc. For many, this leads to ongoing light deprivation, making us vulnerable to mood disorders, sleep problems, fatigue, poor ability to concentrate, and more.
Many people may suffer from light deprivation and not even be aware that the symptoms of light deprivation include:
- Feeling down or moody during the fall and winter
- Fatigue, lack of energy, and difficulty getting up in the morning
- Problems getting things done (lack of motivation)
- Reduced social contact (and often reduced sexual interest)
- Cravings for carbohydrates and weight gain
Experts believe that as many as 1 in 20 people may experience full-blown Seasonal Affective Disorder in the northern hemisphere and up to 11 times may experience the milder winter blues. As well, recent findings show that bright light therapy may also help relieve some non-seasonal mood disorders, jet lag and shift work adjustment.
Health professionals recommend bright light therapy as the #1 line of treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
The Center for Environmental Therapeutics (www.cet.org), a not-for-profit professional organization, has specified criteria for light box selection to ensure user safety and effective treatment. Day-Lights are designed to meet these standards.
- Designed based on university clinical trials
- 10,000 LUX outdoor light level at a comfortable distance
- Adequate field of illumination
- Emits balanced White light for eye safety
- UV filtered protection to protect the eyes and skin
- Projects light downward to mimic the sun
- Glare-free diffusion screen for visual comfort
- High-efficiency, no flicker ballasts
- Adjustable height for optimal positioning for the user